History of Alexandros Restaurant and Rooms - Pelekas, Corfu
Alexandros Restaurant and Rooms - Pelekas, Corfu

The history of Alexandros Restaurant and Rooms

In spring 1924 Great-grandfather Spiros Vergis and Aunt Helen opened a bakery and pantopoleio in Pelekas. (A pantopoleio is an old style grocer's. There are still a few left in Corfu. They sell everything from salt cod to shoe polish and were once one of the centres of village life.) This business was taken over in 1952 by Grandfather Alexandros and Grandmother Olympia. From 1960 their second son, Andreas helped in the shop. In 1970, in order to cater for the first wave of tourism in Pelekas, Andreas, and his wife Anastasia, converted the business into a restaurant and rooms and created Pension Alexandros. The business grew. In 1960 there were just three or four tables outside for people on their way to see the view from Kaiser's Throne to stop and have a drink. By 1970 there were ten rooms and twenty tables. Now there are twenty rooms and eighty tables! Alexandros started as a family business and this tradition continues today.

Many of the present clentele, who return year after year, first stayed at Alexandros as students travelling by Interail in the '70s and '80s. They now bring their children with them! Like everyone who has stayed here, they feel part of the wider Alexandros family. We view them as friends rather than guests and look forward to welcoming them again soon.


read our reviews on trip advisor like us on facebookfollow us on twitter


website designed and maintained
by hereford web design